I’ve recently tried to recommit myself to blogging :) and as part of that, I pulled together my recent set of essays and redid the Featured Essays section of this blog. If you missed anything, check them out below- they are a collection of what I’ve written over the last 18 months or so. In the coming months, I hope to continue writing more about mobile, especially the nascent field of mobile marketing. Thanks for reading.
- Growth Hacker is the new VP Marketing
- You don’t need a growth hacker
- After the Techcrunch bump: Life in the “Trough of Sorrow”
- How do I balance user satisfaction versus virality?
- 2011 Blogging Roadmap: “Zero to product/market fit”
- Minimize your Time to Product/Market Fit
- When has a consumer startup hit product/market fit?
- When does high growth not imply product/market fit?
- Does anyone care about your new product? (Doing market research with Google’s Keyword Tool)
- Has Facebook’s DAU/MAU always been ~50%?
- How mobile startups can iterate better, faster, stronger
- Mobile app startups are failing like it’s 1999
- Don’t just design your product, design your community too
- What factors influence DAU/MAU? Nature versus nuture
- Strive for great products, whether by copying, inventing, or reinventing
- Why you’ll always think your product is shit
- Don’t compete on features
- Simple is Marketable
- Know the difference between data-informed and versus data-driven
- How to use A/B testing for better product design
- How to write good and bad titles for your blog post
- How this blog grows: Evergreen content, Social whales, and “Don’t get bored”
- How to use Twitter to predict popular blog posts you should write
Industry and Investing
- Why are we so bad at predicting startup success?
- I’m a Google Glass skeptic and think it’ll be the next Apple Newton
- Why it’s hard to evaluate new social products
- Confessions of a Startup Seagull
- My friend Noah and his $100M lesson after being fired from Facebook
- Career Suicide versus Startup Suicide
- Stop asking “But how will they make money?”
- What makes Sequoia Capital successful? “Target big markets”
- The Law of Shitty Clickthroughs
- Visual Basic, PHP, Rails. Is Node.js next?
- Why I doubted Facebook could build a billion dollar business, and what I learned from being horribly wrong
- How sheep-like behavior breeds innovation in Silicon Valley
- “Anyone can start a Groupon!” and other startup myths
- When Does Paid Acquisition Work for SaaS Startups?
- Stanford CS major seeks sales/marketing monkey
PS. Get new essays sent to your inbox
Get my weekly newsletter covering what's happening in Silicon Valley, focused on startups, marketing, and mobile.